Karius is a venture-backed life science startup that is transforming the way pathogens and other microbes are observed throughout the body. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we're helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, providing industry partners with access to 1000’s of biomarkers to accelerate clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are looking for an outstanding clinician responsible for directing Medical Affairs activities in support of the Karius cell-free microbial DNA infectious disease diagnostic test. You will provide medical and scientific leadership for our Product, Marketing, and Sales organizations. You will also provide insights into future product developments and enhancements as we apply Next Generation Sequencing technology to infectious disease diagnostics.
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: VP, Medical Affairs
Location: Redwood City, CA
• Provide clinical consultation to physicians who have ordered the Karius Test.
• Provide medical expertise to support sales and marketing activities.
• Review promotional materials to ensure accuracy of medical and scientific aspects.
• Participate in the medical publications’ strategy, provide medical direction, review and approve materials for medical/scientific presentations and publications.
• Prepare and give clinical and scientific presentations for external educational programs and scientific/clinical conferences.
• Assist in the preparation and writing of white papers, manuscripts, meeting abstracts and meeting posters/talks.
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key opinion leaders, through professional associations, professional meetings and conferences; apply KOL input and feedback to Medical activities.
• Develop and lead Advisory Boards with opinion leaders and HCPs.
• Maintain clinical and specialty expertise and provide input by attending business team meetings, steering committee meetings, etc.
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with advisors, consultants, investigators, expert guest speakers and business development partners.
• Assist in the management and coordination of Investigator Initiated Studies.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don't suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: Required up to 20%.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is performed in an office environment.
• Doctoral-level degree in the Life Sciences (MD or DO), required.
• Post-graduate training or prior industry experience in infectious diseases, highly preferred.
• A minimum of 5 years experience in a clinical setting and/or industry, preferred.
• Ability to develop, influence and maintain relationships in the infectious disease community with significant key opinion leaders.
• Expertise in scientific and clinical data review and interpretation.
• Experience writing clinical study reports, poster presentations, and manuscripts for publication in a scientific journal preferred.
• Project leadership/management skills.
• Excellent analytical skills and solid experience in translating medical/scientific information into medical affairs and clinical development strategies.
• Outstanding communication skills including public speaking, written communication, and interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate technical concepts with clarity and accuracy.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.