Karius is a venture-backed life science startup that is transforming the way pathogens and other microbes are observed throughout the body. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we're helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, providing industry partners with access to 1000’s of biomarkers to accelerate clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are building and operating a unique software stack of cloud infrastructure, software services, APIs, web and mobile interactive interfaces, and AI-driven data analytics pipelines to deliver life-saving results in the highly complex infectious disease landscape. We believe the success of Karius’s products is driven by both our unique technology and the elegance of the software solution. We seek talented and passionate individuals who want to be part of this impactful journey reaching the team’s ambitious goals, far beyond what any single individual could accomplish.
As the head of of Data Engineering, you will drive the technology roadmap, development and support of the data platform that enables Karius stakeholders to extract value out of a mountain of genomic, clinical, operation and clinical data to serve patients. You will shape the future landscape of data engineering at Karius, including architecting the data storages, data streams and data pipelines to power Karius’s growing business. This is a hands-on-code / data position that will build and lead a team of talented engineers.
Why Should You Join Karius?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: VP, Engineering
Location: Redwood City, CA
• Working closely with cross-functional groups such as Product Management, Laboratory and Clinical Operations, R&D, and Commercial, develop and execute a roadmap to build and run Karius Data Platform that ingests, stores, aggregates and serves a variety of queries and questions.
• In collaboration with the rest of the engineering team and stakeholders across the company, drive the data modeling, master data management, and general data lifecycle across all domains.
• Develop integrations with Karius and 3rd party systems to source, qualify and ingest various datasets.
• Arm the R&D and Analytics teams with proper environment and tools to perform ML trainings, validation of new hypotheses and algorithms, and run experiments on the vast amount of clinical and genomic data.
• Deploy data analytics, presentation and visualization tools for various functions to extract valuable insights from the data and inform critical decisions.
• Build and maintain data ETLs/ELTs and pipelines to source and aggregate the required internal data to calculate operational and commercial KPIs.
• Support data management, analysis and reporting efforts in clinical studies.
• Support business stakeholders in designing and implementing sound data models based on their domain requirements in the corresponding systems (e.g. CRM, ERP etc.).
• Develop data-related principles and best practices, train and advise technical stakeholders on managing their datasets.
• Working closely with the Security and Compliance teams, build data governance controls in the data platform to protect Karius precious data and comply with regulatory and legal requirements.
• Hire, grow and lead a team of talented data engineers.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don't suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: No travel required
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office environment.
First and foremost, you are energized and motivated by the opportunity to build an elegant software and data stack. You enjoy seeing your creation work like a clock positively impacting thousands of people every year. You crave tough challenges in a super technical and collaborative environment that requires creativity and vision to navigate complex and ambiguous problems.
In addition, you will be able to present:
• BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Bio Engineering or related technical fields involving algorithms or coding (e.g., physics or mathematics).
• 10+ years of software and data engineering experience, including:
o 7+ years of hands-on development as an individual contributor
o 3+ years of experience in leading engineering projects and teams
• Deep understanding of use cases and pros/cons of different Enterprise data warehousing and access architectures patterns along with examples of data platforms you architected, implemented and maintained with various scalability, extensibility, performance requirements.
• Advance knowledge and hands-on experience building and operating data platforms in production using relevant concepts and technologies:
o Data storage: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Cassandra, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Neo4j, RedisGraph, AWS S3, AWS Redshift
o Data lakes and processing frameworks: Databricks, Snowflake
o Analytics and computing engines: Spark
o ETLs and stream-processing: Kafka, Spark-Streaming, and AWS Kinesis
o Data governance and provenance
o Data and service discovery
• Advance knowledge and hands-on experience building data analytics and reporting systems using relevant technologies such as:
o Query engines: Presto, Hive
o Visualization and analytics tools: Looker, Tableau, Apache Superset
• Hands-on experience with modern programming and query languages such as Scala, Python, SQL, GQL, Cypher.
• Knowledge and experience with data structure and interfaces of business systems such as Salesforce CRM, Oracle/NetSuite ERP is a plus.
• Experience dealing with healthcare data and meeting regulatory requirements such as HIPAA is a big plus.
• Proven ability to hire and train engineering talent, lead a high performance and collaborative team.
• Passionate, purpose-driven, and excited about Karius’ mission.
• Mastered your craft yet eager to learn and grow.
• Demonstrated ability to tackle complex problems.
• Systematic problem-solving and debugging, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
• Ability to work independently but also be an excellent team player.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced (startup) environment.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.