Seer is seeking an IT Manager responsible for the design, implementation, management of corporate IT infrastructure, IT operations, and IT helpdesk, along with the execution of IT policies and procedures including testing, change control, and general systems maintenance. The IT Manager will work closely with multiple functional groups to support the business and will contribute directly to project planning and implementation, manage contractors, as well as build a small and nimble IT team as the company grows.
The Role & The Team
Seer’s new IT Manager will be work closely with individuals across all departments, and particularly with operations, data science, and software teams. The ideal candidate will have a track record of accomplishments in their past roles, ideally within the life sciences, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology industries.
This role requires a strong entrepreneurial orientation, highly developed team skills, and a strong desire to learn and grow. A background in managing both Microsoft and Apple environments is essential, and some experience with Linux is advantageous.
This role will be based on-site in Redwood City, CA.
Responsibilities & Goals
As Seer’s IT lead, key goals for the IT Manager’s first year will be:
- Develop and implement IT strategy for the company
- Manage IT contractors and plan for transition to internal IT resources as the company grows
- Plan and implement networking for our growing office and lab spaces, including WAN/LAN, VPN, DNS, firewalls, and network monitoring/alerting
- Partner with Data Science and Software groups to ensure that R&D and product environments are appropriately supported and interfaced with corporate IT
- Provide advice and develop infrastructure for identity and security, including Single Sign On and 2FA
Other areas of responsibility and attention will include:
- Advise and investigate security projects for penetration testing, risk mitigation, email security, and incident response
- Responsible for network and server operations, system availability, and delivery of IT HelpDesk customer service
- Work with HR to develop SOPs for employee onboarding and offboarding, software license compliance
- Own and manage audio/video technology for conference rooms including budgeting, lifecycle planning, and future capabilities needs assessments and requirement gathering.
- Oversee end user support Helpdesk and Desktop / Laptop inventory and support (Mac and Windows) and evaluate relevant management tools (backup/recovery strategies, VM management, automated package management, license approval, monitoring, etc)
Background & Qualifications
The successful candidate for the position of IT Manager must have a demonstrated record of accomplishments in their past roles. Candidates must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with teamwork skills and an absolute commitment to competing with the highest level of integrity.
Education and experience:
- 7+ years of IT experience
- 5+ years of experience in building and managing highly available applications or networks
- Some experience leading a small team of IT professionals
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field
- Expert hands-on knowledge of both Microsoft systems (including Windows) and Apple (MAC) platform and solutions.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Cloud, and Managed Hosting
- Practical knowledge of at least one scripting languages such as Perl, Python, PHP, VBScript, or PowerShell
- Knowledge of LAN and WAN network architecture, protocols and technologies at CCNA level
- Working knowledge of MS Office products (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Sharepoint, and Visio)
- In-depth understanding of network security, Firewalls, VPNs and data encryption techniques, VPNs, enterprise backup systems, hosted VoIP telephone systems, and the general processes centered around a scientific lab environment
- Knowledge of Linux OS or any other System V Unix OS is advantageous
- Microsoft certifications preferred (MCSE/MCSA/MCP)
- Must be a self-starter and persistent in achieving objectives to support Seer’s scientific and business goals
- A strong commitment to completing projects accurately and within tight deadlines, with the ability to take full responsibility for a project and work with minimal supervision
- Excellent time management, communication, written, and customer service skills
- Superb analytical, troubleshooting, and decision-making skills
Must work well in a fast-paced team setting, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
Seer is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.