We are building the world's first digital immune system. Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through the innovative use of next-generation sequencing combined with advanced analytics. The company’s genomics platform is already delivering unprecedented insight into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood and helping industry accelerate drug development. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who are trying to solve some of the hardest cases. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our software engineers, computational biologists, data scientists, molecular biologists and full-time physicians we have on staff, all driven by the same mission.
You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see directly how your work has a life-changing effect on people and at scale. We are looking for a motivated and proactive machine-learning leader who seeks to have a strong impact in building out our computational foundation, as well as the roadmap towards a revolutionary data-first company. The ideal candidate will appreciate the ways in which we balance the scientific mindset of a research team with a pragmatic, product-oriented approach. When was the last time you built models and systems that literally saves lives?
We are holding one of the most valuable and impactful data streams on this planet, and we are only scratching the surface in terms of harnessing its power. The Head of Data position aims for a talented individual who will be driving making Data useful in a far broader scope, going beyond saving one patient at a time. Making external data valuable requires a continuous integration while maintaining the quality required for clinical products while providing unparalleled access to data-driven insights into the research and development teams. This new and exciting trajectory at Karius aims at building a first of its kind data platform powered by Karius’ proprietary and unique data stream, that will power our discovery engine, services, and APIs.
· Establish the Data organization at Karius as a top-quality cutting-edge research and development group
· Lead the development of Data algorithms (exploration, interaction, inference), streams, and services, maintaining both high pace and agility in execution
· Provide deep technical guidance at both the mathematical as well as the technology-stack level
· Partner on data strategy, connecting what is mathematically possible with what the market needs, and paving the way towards becoming a data company, setting the data roadmap
· Foster deep partnerships with academia, healthcare organizations, governmental agencies, pharma, and other commercial entities
· Support Engineering in their efforts to unify Karius' broader data, from Commercial to Medical and lab, as well as building self-serve insight engines on top of these (internal) data sources
· Work closely with the product, engineering, analytics, medical, and scientific teams, to set our company's goals and partner in the development of our next products
· Ph.D. Computer Science or equivalent (with a focus on Machine Learning)
· A strong track record of publications (probabilistic graphical models, NLP, deep learning, reinforcement learning, statistical inference)
· Success in leading machine learning teams within a company, and a clear industry experience in a data-focused position, driving core company value-generator forward
· Deep knowledge of modern ML tools and techniques
· Great communication skills across a wide range of interactions, with the research community, fellow ML experts, scientists, as well as commercial entities
· Enthusiasm to work in an environment in which high-pace science has a significant impact on the landscape of opportunities, and our roadmap
· Strong inspiration to work at the intersection of engineering, machine-learning, and next-generation medicine
· 8+ years of management experience, delivering complex products by the combination of efforts from several teams