Scientist, Synthetic Biology at Mammoth Biosciences
South San Francisco, CA, US
Mammoth Biosciences is harnessing the diversity of nature to power the next-generation of CRISPR products. Through the discovery and development of novel CRISPR systems, the company is enabling the full potential of its platform to read and write the code of life. By leveraging its internal research and development and exclusive licensing to patents related to Cas12, Cas13, Cas14 and Casɸ, Mammoth Biosciences can provide enhanced diagnostics and genome editing for life science research, healthcare, agriculture, biodefense and more. Mammoth is democratizing disease detection with easy and affordable point-of-care tests that allow real-time and simultaneous detection of multiple conditions, along with high-throughput tests that allow for unprecedented testing volume. Further, the company is transforming disease treatment with its proprietary micro-sized CRISPR proteins that enable new editing and delivery options. Based in San Francisco, Mammoth Biosciences is co-founded by CRISPR pioneer Jennifer Doudna and principal founders Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington. The firm is backed by top institutional investors including Decheng, Mayfield, NFX, and 8VC, and leading individual investors including Brook Byers, Tim Cook, Bob Nelsen, and Jeff Huber.
Mammoth is seeking a Scientist with expertise in Synthetic Biology to join its growing Discovery team. The Discovery team is responsible for developing novel CRISPR-associated (Cas) nucleases for genome editing and diagnostic applications.
The successful candidate will be responsible for screening and developing novel CRISPR-associated (Cas) effector nucleases for genome editing and diagnostic applications. The scope of this work will include: metagenomic screen design, guide RNA engineering, protein engineering, HTP screen execution, data analysis and infrastructure development.
- Design, execute and analyze HTP screening experiments
- Develop assays, tools and infrastructure to support Cas nuclease discovery work
- Document and present experimental results at internal meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- PhD or 5 years of industry experience
- 3 synthetic biology experience in industry or academia
- Experience screening novel enzymes from metagenomic sequence databases
- Prior success developing custom software tools for experimental design and/or analysis.
- Ability to design and execute NGS assays
- Laboratory automation experience (eg. liquid handlers, plate readers, automated colony pickers)
- Deep familiarity with CRISPR-Cas literature
- Computer and scripting skills (Benchling, Geneious, JMP, SQL, R, python)
- Competitive salary with equity
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Free breakfast/lunch/dinner/barista
- Free gym
- Public transportation commuter subsidy
- 401(k) matching