Lab Manager at Mammoth Biosciences
South San Francisco, CA, US
The Laboratory Manager at Mammoth Biosciences is responsible for supporting the research team by ensuring the lab runs smoothly and safely. The lab manager focuses on achieving operational excellence in the lab, which includes organizing and maintaining the lab supply and equipment inventory. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in managing life science-focused labs, particularly in high growth environments. Ability to lead by example, and to manage by influence is highly desirable. Candidates for this role should be enthusiastic about lab safety and organization.
Identify and implement improvements to lab organization, communication, and general lab processes
- Generate and maintain databases for logging equipment maintenance, purchasing, and chemical inventories
- Oversee management of laboratory collections of protocols, lab reagents, and strains
- Oversee media preparation, glass washing, autoclaving and reagent aliquoting.
- Interface with general building maintenance team over equipment/deliveries/etc.
- Budget monitoring, fixed asset inventories, purchasing, etc.
- Onboard new lab members by explaining safety policies and general lab practices
- Enforce laboratory compliance with safety regulations, act as the main contact for safety, organize waste stream
- Order lab reagents and consumables; build supplier relationships
- Perform other laboratory management duties as requested, including scheduling of lab events and organizing lab meetings
- Manage junior personnel
Bachelors, Master’s or Ph.D. in biology, chemistry or related fields
- In-depth knowledge of life sciences and laboratory best practices
- Experience with inventory tracking systems
- Experience using and implementing purchasing modules of enterprise resource planning systems (e.g. Oracle, SAP, or Quartzy, etc.)
- Excellent organization skills
- Proficient computer and record keeping skills
- 3+ years of laboratory management experience